A critical step in ensuring URLEIA becomes law is finding a congressional sponsor. ONUS is asking people across the nation to visit their congressmen and senators offices and personally ask them to sponsor URLEIA. . Let them know that NOT sponsoring URLEIA is not an option. Here’s how you can be most effective:
- Find out who your congressional representatives are. Every person has two senators and one member in the House of Representatives. Click here to find your congressional members.
- Click on each congressional member’s name to identify where the member’s offices are located. You will also view other important information about your representatives.
- Call ahead and make an appointment to see your congressional leader. Stress that you want to talk to the leader him or herself. If the leader is not available, ask to meet with the legislative director.
- If you are lobbying with a group, decide what time you are going to meet up and where you are going to meet. Be sure to arrive at the agreed-upon meeting place on time.
- Leave a letter with your congressional leader before departing the meeting. The letter can simply say: My name is _________ and I request that you sponsor/cosponsor The Uniform Reporting Law Enforcement Improvement Act (URLEIA) to help end police brutality. Please reply to me at (your address) and advise of your intentions as it relates to the URLEIA legislative proposal drafted by ONUS, Inc. You may reach me at (your telephone number) if you have any questions. You may contact ONUS at 202.817.1331 or email@example.com if you have questions about URLEIA. Thank you in advance for your support.
- If you are making an unscheduled visit, walk into the congressional office and ask to speak to the congressional leader. If the congressional leader is not available, ask to speak to the legislative director. Explain that you want the congressional leader to sponsor The Uniform Reporting Law Enforcement Improvement Act (URLEIA). Leave the letter you prepared behind.
- Emphasize that you would like a written response.
- Stop by both democratic and republican offices. Our goal is to enlist support from all congressional leade
Visit your congressional leaders offices repeatedly. Become a nuisance and take others with you until you get what you want. If necessary, hold rallies at local office locations to spotlight your concerns to the community.