Name of Executive Director
Name of Organization
City, State, Zip
There comes a time when a community must declare no more and mean it! The Uniform Reporting Law Enforcement Improvement Act (URLEIA) is our way of declaring “no more” when it comes to police brutality against people of color. URLEIA is a legislative proposal of unprecedented scope with respect to ensuring transparency and accountability in policing at the local, state and national levels. With URLEIA, we no longer have to speculate as to how many “bad apples” there are in policing barrel. URLEIA will allow us to identify the “bad apples” by name and quickly remove them.
Drafting URLEIA is only the beginning. Ensuring URLEIA becomes law is where the real work begins, given that powerful police unions and fraternal orders are likely to vigorously contest URLEIA’s comprehensive provisions (http://www.fop.net/legislative/). If you embrace the notion that black lives matter, we are asking you to demonstrate your conviction in the form of active support:
- Endorse URLEIA. ONUS is asking organizations, public personalities and members of the public to send letters endorsing URLEIA to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will post some of the endorsements on our website.
- Sign-up at our website. Select the About Us tab, click on Stay Connected and enter your contact information.
- Encourage organizational members and friends to sign ONUS’s online petition (https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-united-states-u-s-house-of-representatives-u-s-senate-support-urleia-national-legislation-to-stop-police-killings.)
- Financially support efforts to enact URLEIA. ONUS receives no grant funds. Our only source of income is from people who have the most to gain from our efforts. When pondering how much money to invest in helping to pass URLEIA, we encourage you to contemplate the following: The value of young lives that will be saved; the peace of knowing an imperfect child of color can leave home, encounter a police agent, and return home safely; and improved mental health for those who suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) amid the constant threat of police brutality. Make online donations at https://changeisonus.org/financially-support-urleia/ or mail donations to ONUS, Inc., 227 N. Highway 67, Suite 265, St. Louis, MO 63031.
- Aid with on-the-ground efforts. We need people coast-to-coast to understand the protections UREIA offers. Informed people are likely to stand firmly with us when we insist Congress pass URLEIA without watering it down. That is why we are urging individuals and organizations nationwide to purchase URLEIA postcards from our website and pass them out to educate the public at-large about URLEIA.
It’s time to take a firm stand.
ONUS, Inc., is a 501(c)4. Donations are not tax deductible.